Thursday 2 January 2014

Review: DISenchanted by Robert Kroese

Did I ever mention I love a good read? I  bought this book from the recommendations that come up on the first page of my Kindle Paperwhite (best invention ever) as it was on sale. It's not the sort of cover that would usually catch my eye, but I read the synopsis and decided that for such a small price, it was worth a shot. I was completely right. SO worth it.

This novel started out as episodes in Kindle Serials, where you (the reader) receives the episodes as the author finishes them. I'm glad I didn't have to wait for it to be finished. That drives me a little crazy because I'm impatient. I always have several unfinished series on the go!

The story is set in a fairytale-esque land called the kingdom of Dis. The story focuses on one character throughout, and has several flashbacks which explain his personality and how he got to where we meet him- at his death. Boris' death does not mean that the remainder of the book is retrospective, we follow Boris in his afterlife as a wraith. I found the storyline to be humorous and suprising. I liked that there were several moments when I couldn't decide if I actually liked Boris, It's refreshing to have a main character whom you are not always fond of.

The book includes helpful footnotes which assist in explaining obscure facts about Dis. Usually I find footnotes a little irritating, however these are worth reading as they are often quite funny. These added to the humour in the book.

Overall I found this to be a lighthearted and engaging story. One which I will most definitely be reading again.

No comments:

Post a Comment