Monday 1 June 2015

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I hate being hairy. Yes, I am absolutely going there. When I have hairy armpits I feel like a icky man-lady. Over the years I've tried all kinds of hair removal...shaving, waxing, that stinky hair cream stuff...the only thing I haven't tried is the slightly more permanent laser hair removal (I can neither confirm nor deny that it may be next on my list of things to try...)

I thought it would be interesting to write about my experiences with each method...ENJOY

1. Shaving

The standard. Where more or less everyone starts out...

Yay

  • Feels great to get the hair off quickly and pain-free! 
  • Quick
  • Cheap
  • Easy
  • Can do it at home
  • Convenient
Nay
  • Itchy regrowth
  • Does NOT last very long. At all. 2 days max
  • Accidental slips or bad angles can cause uncontrollable bleeding and scarring
  • Razors quickly go blunt
  • Razor burn/razor rash
  • Ingrown hairs
  • Red bobbly skin


Krummometer says: 

P.S. Krumm is a character from a cartoon Aaahh!!! Real Monsters. It was always on Cartoon Network in the late evenings.
The convenience of shaving pushed it up to a 3 for me, and to be fair, I shave on my legs pretty much all the time. Though in other more sensitive areas - like armpits - it does not work very well for me.


2. Hair Removal Cream

Yay

  • Quick
  • Can do it at home
Nay

  • It smells gross
  • It doesn't work as well as I would like it to
  • It's gloopy


Krummometer says: 


I did not like this. at all. Gross and smelly with unsatisfactory results...Boooooo!






3. Epilator

Yay

  • Quicker than plucking each hair out
  • Cheap (once you have bought the epilator)
  • Reusable
Nay
  • Painful. All the pain.
  • Scary - there is no way I would use this on my underarms - legs are as far as I will go with this!
  • Too violent - sometimes it breaks the hairs and I'm left with stubble

Krummometer says: 

Another hair removal method I did NOT like. It's too painful and does not give very good results.... Having said that, the last time I used an epilator was several years ago soo it might be worth giving this another shot. Maybe. 




4. Strip Wax (Home kits)

Yay

  • Pulls the hair out from the root
  • Lighter regrowth
  • You can do it privately at home without the awkwardness of stripping off in a salon
Nay

  • Painful
  • Takes a lot of courage to pull off the strip yourself
  • Messy and sticky
  • It's hard to reach all the areas you want to wax 
  • Takes a lot of time


Krummometer says:
It's hard to pull the strips off - correctly - on your own. It's also soo messy and sticky...I prefer the smoothness of waxing, but I prefer the convenience of shaving over the mess of waxing myself


5. Strip Wax (Salon)
Yay

  • You don't have to do anything. Just lay back and let the beautician do the work
  • Lighter regrowth
  • Smooth results

Nay

  • Going to a salon every month can get expensive
  • Painful
  • Having to grow the hair out long enough to be waxed again is neither fun nor attractive...


Krummometer says:
I love the smooth, clean feeling after a wax. However, I have sensitive skin so I do sometimes come up quite red and sore in the stubborn hair areas.


6. Hot Wax
Yay
  • Gentler on the skin (no wax strips - just peels off)
  • Gets the shorter hairs that can be missed in a strip wax
  • Smells nice
  • hairless for longer
  • Grows back finer
Nay
  • Gets expensive going to a salon every month
  • Can be painful (but less painful than strip wax)
  • I haven't seen this in many places - few and far between!
  • Have to regrow the hair in-between treatments

Krummometer says: 

Pling Pling Pling! We have a winner. This by far is my favorite hair removal method. I prefer it over all other methods I've tried thus far! 

What method do you prefer? 


No comments:

Post a Comment